The Auroville Visitors Centre is now open.
It will be possible for day visitors to visit the Matrimandir Viewing Point to see the Matrimandir from outside.
Kindly book your arrival time slot on visit.auroville.org since entries per hour will be limited to avoid overcrowding. For direct contact with this service and eventual reimbursements or complaints, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that booking for concentration in the Matrimandir Inner Chamber remains discontinued until further notice - access is available to the Matrimandir Viewing Point only and passes are absolutely free..All necessary precautions are to be taken following the applicable SOPs and visitors are requested to observe social distancing, hand sanitization, and wearing of face masks.
The Auroville Visitors Centre is a place where day visitors and guests can begin to discover and learn about Auroville, its ideals, history and present-day manifestation, housed in a complex of buildings that include exhibitions, information and guest reception, boutiques for Auroville products and handicrafts, a bookshop, cafes and a food court.
Open daily from 9 am to 1 pm and 1:30 to 5:00 pm
- provides first-hand, personalized information on Auroville. Reception staff are equipped to answer queries in English and other Indian and European languages.
- stocks brochures, leaflets, books and videos on Auroville in different languages.
- gives a visual tour of the different aspects of Auroville life, community and its work through its Photo Exhibition space.
- provides video shows -- regular ‘Introduction to Auroville’ and ‘Introduction to Matrimandir’ videos in English or Tamil, with the possibility of other languages in sub-titled form.
- features the original rosewood model of the Matrimandir and the Gardens, in its Matrimandir Reception and Exhibition Space.
- Issues passes to Matrimandir Viewing Point. From the VC a shaded 10-12 minutes’ walk leads to the Viewing Point in the Matrimandir area. For those who need motorised transport, shuttles are available.
Guest Accommodation Service
Open daily from 9:30am - 12:30pm and 2 - 5pm
Offers guidance and help with guest accommodation in Auroville.
Please note that on arrival to stay in Auroville accommodation all guests, volunteers, and family members will be expected to follow the rules as applicable from the state government guidelines about quarantine and safety regulations.
Open daily from 9:30 am - 6 pm
Display and sell a wide range of Auroville handicrafts such as incense, clothing, tableware, jewellery, furnishings, aromatherapy etc. They also stock a variety of organic herbal syrups, dried fruits, and cereal products made in Auroville.
- La Boutique d'Auroville: Ph. 0413-2622150
- Mirra Boutique: Ph. 0413-2623389
- Kalki Boutique: Ph. 0413-2623450
- Right Path Café: open for food and refreshments from 8 am - 9 pm daily, On Mondays, it closes early at 5 pm. Ph: 0413-2622248
- Dreamers' Café: open for food and refreshments from 8 am - 8:30 pm every day during the high season (closes early on Mondays at 6 pm)
- Korean food served Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays atthe Right Path Cafe from 6.00 pm to 8.30 pm. Closed on Mondays.
- Dosa Corner, situated above the Right Path Cafe. Serves organic dosas and parottas in an informal setting at an affordable cost.
Open daily from 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm. Closed on Mondays.
Serves dosas in the evening from 6:30 - 10 pm Closed on Wednesday evenings. Ph: 0413-2623034.
New School Crafts: situated next to the Kiosk, selling small handicraft items such as incense, soap, oils, etc...Open from 9am - 5pm. Ph: 0413-2623833
Open Air Boutique: Kamalam, a retail outlet of SEDAB (Sustainable Enterprises Development in the Auroville Bioregion) promotes ethical and eco-friendly products made by rural entrepreneurs. SEDAB is part of a wider Integral Rural Development vision for the bioregion. Its goal is to provide livelihood options for women in villages in and around Auroville.
Garden Shop (Fleurs d’Auroville) situated next to the main visitors’ parking. The Auroville Botanical Gardens have been established in response to the disappearing Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest (TDEF) and to the global need for the conservation of genetic diversity in the plant kingdom in a wide range of climatic conditions. With preservation projects throughout India, a growing, diversifying nursery, and localized educational programs, the Auroville Botanical Gardens acts on several fronts in order to simultaneously save and recreate the unique forest ecosystem that stretched along the coast until one century ago.
Pick up and Drop Shuttle Service, per passenger fares.
Daily 9:30am - 6.00pm.
For entertainment evenings (theatre, music/dance performances) and other special events happening at VC, see the notice board at the Centre and at other locations around Auroville, or the weekly News & Notes.Contact Visitors Centre: 0413-2622611 or 9487650951
Daily walking tours starting from Visitors Center.
Guided tours are momentarily stopped. The Information Office can provide you with a self-guided map of places to visit on foot in the International Zone, on your way back from the Matrimandir Viewing Point.